Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Atlas Fallen by Jessica Pierce | Review

Atlas Fallen (Cyber Crown #1) by Jessica Pierce
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: April 24, 2018
Genre: YA, Science Fiction
Pages: 368
Source: eARC from Author + Purchased
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

One space station.
One throne.
And the girl who holds the key.


Tesla Petrov, daughter of an infamous traitor, no longer lives a life of promise in the Atlas space station's elite flight training program. Stripped of her military rank and banished to the slums, she now scrapes out a brutal existence competing in illegal robot fights for Minko, ruthless leader of the Red Ashes crime syndicate. But when a wrong move costs her a fight--and a fortune--for the crime lord, Tesla knows her days aboard the Atlas are numbered.

Daxton Larose isn't just visiting the station to celebrate the Centennial of the Crown--he's hunting a terrorist threatening to end a century of peace on Earth. To do so, he'll need someone who knows the station. Someone willing to strike a deal at any cost.

Someone like Tesla. 

But as the hunt for the terrorist uncovers secrets from both their pasts, Tesla and Daxton realize that nothing, and no one, is what it seems.


My Thoughts


I was not at all prepared for Atlas Fallen when I first started reading. This was one of the last books I picked up in May and after having reading quite a bit the rest of the month I wasn't really in the mood to read. It took me a little bit to get invested in the story and characters but once I did I was hooked.

This story opens following Tesla going to meet with one of the gang leaders on the lower levels of the Atlas, the space station that she's living on. From the synopsis we know Tesla is struggling after her father was branded a traitor. In the midst of everyday life and participating illegal bot fights Tesla is trying to find proof that her father wasn't a traitor. When she receives an opportunity to go to the upper levels of the Atlas she can't pass it up.

On the other hand Daxton has his own goals when he came aboard the Atlas Fallen. After meeting, Daxton gets Tesla to help him in exchange for something she wants.

Atlas Fallen is different from what I typically think of when it comes to science fiction. However I still found it easy to understand and believable, which is always a good thing. This book was really action packed and had me on the edge of my seat several times while trying to figure out how the characters would get out of the current situation.

One thing that can always take the story to the next level for me is the characters. Without realizing it I fell in love with the main characters and the people close to them. Tesla is one of my favorite types of characters. At the start of the story she has a realistic outlook on her life but I felt like she was still naive to some things. Throughout Atlas Fallen she went on a journey of self discovery while learning a lot more about what's going with everything and everyone around her. By the end she's in a completely different space than she was at the begging but she still has a long way to go. I can't wait to see the rest of Tesla's journey throughout this series.

There were parts of this story I found predictable but there were so many parts I didn't see coming. If you are looking for an action packed science fiction novel pick up Atlas Fallen! This book was exciting and had my emotions all over the place in the best way. I can't wait to see the direction the author takes in the next part of the series.

Thank you to the author for gifting me an early copy.

No comments :

Post a Comment