Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Liar by Stephanie St. Klaire | ARC Review

Liar (Faux-Mance #1) by Stephanie St. Klaire
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: August 23, 2018
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 190
Source: eARC from InkSlinger PRR
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

Fake it until you make it. That was the mantra Cori Dash chanted as she chased a big city dream. The more you tell people you’re on top of the world, the more they believe it – just like they believed the embellished image she sold them with her knock off designer facade. It wasn’t lying if the truth stood somewhere in the middle – and she didn’t get caught. 

Dominic Blackthorne owned half of that big city…and a reputation. Rather than dispel rumors or show the world the real Nick, he let his own fake image run free. Until Cori Dash – the only person who told him exactly how it was, even if it stung. 

When Cori is faced with her ex-fiance, now engaged to her ex-best friend, it’s game on. In her boldest move yet, she concocts her biggest lie to date by introducing the first handsome stranger that walks by as her new fiancĂ©. Happy to play the part, Nick is already planning the fake wedding of her dreams. 

You know what they say about lying – the truth always comes out – and it hurts. Especially when Cori finds out she isn’t the biggest Liar in this game, and she’s been out played. 


My Thoughts


Going into Liar I was a little worried. I had read one book by this author and while I liked the idea of that story I didn't really like how it turned out. Fake relationships are one of my favorite tropes in romance novels. That coupled with the rest of the description made this sound like a book I would love which is why I decided to give it a try.

Liar wasn't exactly what I was expecting after reading the synopsis but it had such a strong start. The beginning played out like it would in a movie, from Cori latching on to the first stranger she made eye contact with after running into her ex-fiancĂ© to Cori and Nick pretending to be engaged, and I was loving it. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny but I even laughed a few times at how childish Cori and her ex-best friend were acting. Even Nick joined in at moments and I thought it was hilarious how messy the entire situation was.

About halfway through this book is when things started falling apart. I didn't know going into this the story was meant to be a novella and not a normal length novel. In this case, the story wasn't as good as it could've been if it had the extra time to truly come alive. The author spent so much time setting up the fake relationship and the very beginning of their arrangement that there wasn't enough time for everything else. Even though they were in a fake relationship there were some missed opportunities to show off some significant moments between the two main characters. Most of the important moments were rushed through or were completely missing for example, their first kiss, them realizing they might have a feelings for each other, and other little moments like that. I had this feeling that I missed out getting to see them connect on the romantic side of their relationship.

While I didn't enjoy feeling like I was being rushed through the second half of the story, by the time we got to that I was already invested in the characters and I didn't care too much. In the end I still wanted Cori and Nick to have their happy ending. If you are considering checking out Liar keep in mind some of the things I mentioned above if they'll have a big impact on your enjoyment while reading. With that being said, I feel like Stephanie St. Klaire is one of those authors whose writing improves with each new book release.

No comments :

Post a Comment