Monday, September 11, 2017

At Any Turn by Brenna Aubrey | Review

At Any Turn (Gaming the System #2) by Brenna Aubrey
Publisher: Silver Griffon Associates
Publication Date: April 28, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 367
Source: Purchased
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

So You Want to Be a Hero? 
Millionaire CEO Adam Drake overcame a tortured past to take control of his life and build his own gaming empire. The final piece falls into place with his newfound love for brilliant geek girl blogger, Mia Strong. Now Adam is at the top of his game. 

Your Princess Is in Another Castle. 
Until Mia suddenly breaks things off, leaving Adam in the dark. He senses she needs his help but that she's too stubborn or scared to ask. The more he tries to take control, the further she shies away. This is one problem he can't solve by writing a check or a few clever lines of code. 

He will have to dig deep and put himself at risk...or else risk losing her forever. 

My Thoughts


Just as a heads up before I get into my thoughts about this book, At Any Turn is the second book in this series so this review may contain spoilers for the first book. If you haven't already started the series feel free to check out my review for At Any Price because that is completely spoiler free. Going into At Any Turn I didn't know this book would be told from Adam's prospective. I was confused by this for a little while so that's something to know going into this one.

To be honest I was frustrated the majority of the time I was reading this. While I appreciated being able to see things from Adam's point of view, the switch only made his character flaw more prominent which in turn made him a lot more annoying to me. During At Any Price it is obvious that Adam has a need to be in control of every detail of anything that happens around hm but being in his head was overbearing. Every time a situation came up he approached it logically or looked at the problem like a piece of code and every problem can't be solved that way.

On the other hand, I was annoyed with Mia throughout this book as well. There was one big issue that was the cause of the problems throughout the novel. I understood where Mia was coming from when she was trying to get Adam to understand he couldn't control every part of her life. However, Mia went beyond that and started pushing people away. I already wasn't a big fan of how she lied to her mom and friends in At Any Price but seeing how she acted in this book frustrated me even more. There was obviously something wrong with her but she chose to push everyone important away. I didn't feel Adam or Mia's actions were out of character for either of them but it didn't sit well with me.

I really appreciated that Brenna Aubrey wasn't afraid to take this book to the next level. I wasn't really surprised by one of the major things that we found out towards the end of the book. I was expecting it to happen sooner or later. The second thing that was revealed I wasn't expecting when I started the book. I guessed that it might be something as the story went along but I still wasn't sure. I applaud Brenna for taking that step and giving something I wouldn't usually expect from a new adult contemporary novel.

I had my problems with this book but I wanted things to work out for the two of them so I stuck it out. The last 20% really saved it for me! Mia and Adam are not in a perfect situation but they seem to be heading in the right direction. The way At Any Turn left off I'm not really sure where they're going from this point but I can't wait to see in the next installment of this series.

No comments :

Post a Comment