Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Fairytale Christmas by Merrie Destefano | ARC Review

Fairytale Christmas (The Fair Folk Saga #1) by Merrie Destefano
Publisher: Self-Published
Expected Publication Date: December 4, 2017
Genre: YA/Adult, Fantasy
Pages: 98
Source: eARC from Author
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

Three thousand years ago, a war began between the immortals and the mortals. It's a war that continues to this day...

Before history began, a legendary queen battled a foreign army, braved the death of her husband, and faced betrayal at the hand of someone she trusted. This is the story of Eire, Queen of the Faeries, the Immortal One, and the leader of the Tuatha de Danann. 

To this day, her homeland, Ireland, bears her name, and this is the story of the war that drove the Immortal Ones into exile. It's also the tale of how she found help from an unexpected place, leading her to a love like she had never known before.

Fairytale Christmas is a story that spans thousands of years. It's also the beginning of all of our fairytales and legends; it's where mortals and immortals survive because they love one another, proving that love is the greatest gift of all.

This is the first installment in the Saga of the Fair Folk, a journey that lasts until the end of time.

My Thoughts


Fairytale Christmas is the first book in what I believe is going to be a YA/Adult crossover novella series. This story follows Eire, Queen of the Faeries, as her homeland is invaded and the faeries are driven into exile. Honestly, that's an over simplification of the plot and I would suggest checking out the full description.

I really enjoyed the premise of the story. The plot was intriguing and the writing was really well done. All these things made the story easy to get into and was engaging to the point where I didn't want to stop reading. However, I felt like this was just the bones of a story. Since this novella was so short, there wasn't a lot of time to explore more than the plot. I didn't feel like I knew much about the different types of fat which made parts of this story a little confusing for me. Also, since the story was moving so fast I didn't feel like I got the time to connect with and really care about the characters.

I'm not sure if this story is based on any specific mythology. If it is, I've never read it (but I would be interested in reading it) and could explain why I didn't understand some of the things that were going on. I would love to see the author expand this into a full length novel so the characters and the world have room to grow. If you're looking for a quick, fun fantasy read give Fairytale Christmas a try!

No comments :

Post a Comment