Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Ten Reasons to Stay by Candace Knoebel | Review

Ten Reasons to Stay (The Risky Hearts Duet #1) by Candace Knoebel
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: August 29, 2018
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 238
Source: eARC from InkSlinger PR
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

One day a week—Thursdays—my husband and I could do whatever or whomever we pleased.
Protection was non-negotiable.
And no matter what, we had to be home by midnight.
 

Jack was the one who wanted an open marriage, but we were supposed to keep things simple. No strings. No commitments. It seemed so easy… until it wasn’t.

Devilishly handsome Cole Blackwater was only supposed to be a fling, but everything about him made me feel alive. Wanted. Seen. When I realized he was my husband’s boss, I should have broken things off right then… but I didn’t.

One day a week, I could pretend that I was his and he was mine… until Cole wanted more.

But how could I decide between the man I’d promised to love, honor, and cherish, and the man who tempted me to break every single vow I’d made?


My Thoughts


I never thought the day would come where I would pick up a book centered around an open marriage. It's not something I could ever see myself agreeing to which was why I was so intrigued to see how everything would play out. Let me just start by saying I was not ready for the emotional rollercoaster Ten Reasons to Stay took me on.

For about 80% of this book I was frustrated with Corrine. She allowed herself to get into this situation even when it was not something she wanted. Also, I didn't agree with her way of thinking. Corrine had this idea that she was there to provide for her husband while completely disregarding her own wants and goals. Anytime her husband, Jack, made a suggestion or told her what to do Corrine would go along with it, no questions asked most of the time, in order to please him. This continued until it got to the point where Jack suggested they should have an open marriage. Once again she went along with it because she thought it would make Jack happy.


"Aren't we all searching for sunlight? For that warmth from the brightest touch that lets us finally breath."



Hands down the best part of this whole book was Cole Blackwater! I loved him almost from the very beginning. He came into the picture and showed Corrine exactly how she should be treated. Cole challenged every thought Corrine had of how marriage should be. Like I mentioned before this story had my emotions all over and half of that had to do with Cole. As much as he tried to hide it, Cole was incredibly vulnerable in their agreement. He was always willing to follow Corrine's lead even when he wanted so much more.

Throughout the book I enjoyed being able to see Cole pull Corrine out of the shell she was in and help her realize she deserved more than she was getting. I never thought I would become so invested in a story dealing with a failing marriage where the people in the relationship just tried to patch up the holes instead of actually addressing the problem. The entire situation was messy! This story broke my heart and put the pieces back together. Essentially Ten Reasons to Stay is about finding your worth and never settling. With all that being said, if this author can continue to deliver this level of emotional impact I am looking forward to reading more from her.

No comments :

Post a Comment