Monday, April 25, 2016

The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2) by Rick Yancey | Review

The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2) by Rick Yancey
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Aliens
Pages: 300
Source: Purchased
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

My Thoughts


I will admit I was worried going into this book. When I finally decided to start reading The 5th Wave I had heard so many mixed review about this books. Honestly most, if not all them were bad. A lot of the complaints were that the story was slow, confusing, or there just wasn't much going on. As you might be able to see from my rating I don't agree with everything that was said. I picked this book up a couple days after I finished The 5th Wave and because of that I was still fresh on the characters and the general story line. I think this helped me to remain invested in what was going on. However, there were some things that I didn't like about this sequel.

The story picks up right after the end of the first book. All of the main characters that we followed that escaped from Camp Haven are currently hiding out until they decided what they are going to do next. The Infinite Sea is split into two parts (Book 1 & Book 2). Book 1 follows the same style of The 5th Wave in terms of the way the story is being told. The main change is there is a shift in the POVs being used to tell the story. In this book Ringer becomes one of the main point of views we read from and I was a little disappointed by this because I had really become attached to Cassie and the story she told. Book 1 was action packed and had me quickly flipping through the pages.

Book 2 was slower in pace but it brought in a whole new thought process that I found extremely interesting. Pretty much all of this section of the book is told in Ringer's point of view and once again I was disappointed because not only are Cassie and Evan my favorite characters, Book 1 ended on a cliffhanger so I wanted to know what happened to all the other characters. Book 2 still had some exciting parts. This is where I really started thinking about everything I already knew and trying to fit all this new information in that was given to Ringer.

There were moments where I would stop reading just to try to put information together and honestly it didn't even work. I felt like I was in the book and every new piece of information made me question my instincts. Not only was I questioning my instincts, I questioned if I could trust in anyone else if I was in the same position. If you can't trust in anyone what do you do? I just kept asking myself question I couldn't come up with the answers to which I'm sure was the point. For that alone I think Rick Yancey is brilliant!

There is so much to this story than your typical YA Sci-Fi story. While this might not be the type of story for everyone, I really enjoyed this and I'm highly anticipating The Last Star.

No comments :

Post a Comment