Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan | Review

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: April 1, 2006
Genre: Middle Grade, Greek Mythology, Adventure, Urban Fantasy
Pages: 279
Source: Purchased
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.

My Thoughts


I'm not sure why I waited so long after I read the first book in the series before picking this up. Not really the best decision I made. However when I started this, I fell right back into the story. I already knew what to expect so I was able to just accept the story for what it was and not try over analyze it. I loved being back with Percy and everyone else, along with some new characters. Almost from the beginning of the book Percy is already getting into some trouble. This is also when Tyson is introduced. I love Tyson! He's so sweet, innocent, and even protective at moments.

As to be expected this book contains another epic adventure. They don't go to as many places as they do in The Lightning Thief but more types of creatures in their world were introduced. Family secrets and a hint of where the rest of this series might be going was also revealed.

There were some situations that I felt like could have been avoided. Different characters made some questionable decisions or didn't really take the time to think things through. I think most, if not all, of those moments had something to with Clarisse. Honestly, I couldn't stop myself from laughing at her though while I internally rolled my eyes through those scenes. Those avoidable moments paired with how long I took to read took away some of my enjoyment of this book.

Old friendships and bonds are tested while new ones were formed. Another great installment in the series and I can't wait until I get to the rest of the series!


No comments :

Post a Comment