Sunday, September 27, 2015

Trespassers by Todd Wynn & Tim Wynn | Review

Trespassers by Todd Wynn & Tim Wynn
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Publication Date: October 18, 2014
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 344
Source: Received Amazon credit from authors to purchase
Find on Goodreads



I would rate this more of a 2.5


Goodreads Description

When four alien visitors arrive on Earth and disappear into the cornfields of Indiana, it is Stewart Faulkner’s job to find them. Who they are, where they’re headed, and what’s important enough to make them jump from a moving spaceship are all questions that Stewart must uncover. And he will have to do it all while

1) training a new team member named Mindy—who is developing a crush on him;
2) flying under the radar of his boss to make sure he’s not removed from the case; and
3) staying one step ahead of a government agent named Karl Bruner, who is determined to expose the presence of aliens on Earth.


My Thoughts


Non-Spoiler


I'm trying to think of the best place to start with this review. I have so many thoughts going through my mind but when it comes to putting them down in actual words my mind goes blank. I guess the best place to start would be with the reason for the rating. The summary was interesting enough for me to add it to my pile of books I wanted to read, and when I was contacted by one of the authors offering a free digital copy since I had it on my Goodreads "to read" list I figured it was worth it to give it a try.

While I enjoyed the overall plot I felt the story fell short in multiple places. After taking several creative writing classes and having my own work critiques, I learned one of the biggest things a story needs to have is conflict. This story had it's major problems but there were no conflicts and that was a huge disappointment for me. Everything was just too easy!

I liked that the authors payed attention to details liked one of the characters having bow tie shaped pupils to signify he wasn't from earth, but I also felt like they were trying to pay so much attention to the little details that sometimes it was a bit much. There was a lot of back stories and descriptions of things that I didn't feel were important because they were never mentioned again after.

The ending was another problem for me. I understand that usually you would want the story to wrap up nicely, especially in a standalone. This was too neatly wrapped up for me. Almost every single character gets what they wanted at the start of the book. This brings me back to my point of everything happening too easy.

Summary


Overall the book was enjoyable even though it took me a while to get into it. I gave this book a 2.5 out of 5 because while it was enjoyable it feel a little flat for me. I gave it the extra .5 because it had an interesting concept and it had a different approach then different books about aliens that I had previously read, and I felt a little bad giving it only 2 stars.

Spoilers


There was a moment when the Limestone Deposit Survey Group (the government agency in charge of covering up alien activity on Earth) set up a plan to capture the aliens they are currently after. After what could have only been about 10 minutes book time, the aliens are just let go and that scene is over.

Another scene that could have turned into something more was when Jeremy decides to try out Sara's quorets. There were so many ways this scene could have went, so many things these little blocks of wood could have done. Instead all we see is a small moment between Jeremy and Sara and the moment when they were used on someone else.


No comments :

Post a Comment