Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan | Review

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: June 1, 2005
Genre: Middle Grade, Greek Mythology, Adventure, Urban Fantasy
Pages: 377
Source: Purchased
First Line: "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

My Thoughts


I'm usually late joining the bandwagon when it comes to popular series and it was no different when it came to Percy Jackson. To be honest, I didn't know about this series until I started watching booktube. If I had known about it I'm 99% sure I would have read this a long time ago because I have been interested in Greek mythology since I first started learning about it. I heard so many good things about the series but I was a little worried about reading it since I'm almost twice Percy's age. I also saw quick reviews from people closer to my age reading the series for the first time and not liking it as much because the writing was for a younger audience, so that had me a little worried as well.

Despite all that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Lightning Thief. I wasn't really sure what to expect going into the series but I got everything I wanted. There was humor and adventure, and some serious situations that I wouldn't have expected to be dealt with in a middle grade novel. I really enjoyed the adventure the main characters were on and there were times that I forgot how young they were, especially Percy. Like any other kid at his age, Percy spends the book trying to find out where he fits in but he has to do it on a much broader level than just trying to fit in with friends.

The first book in this series was amazing. I'm looking forward to discovering more about Percy and the world that he belongs to. I hope the series continues as amazing as it started off.

No comments :

Post a Comment