Monday, June 25, 2018

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black | Review

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: January 2, 2018
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Pages: 370
Source: Purchased (Owl Crate + Fairy Loot)
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

GUARD YOUR MORTAL HEART.

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him—and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.


My Thoughts


The Cruel Prince was one of those books that was extremely hyped even before it released. After it's release more people talked about it and mostly everyone had only amazing things to say. I'll admit that most of the reason I put it off for so long was because of this. I didn't want to be too excited when I started reading because I knew if I did I would be even more disappointed if I didn't enjoy it. Anyway back to the actual review.

The Cruel Prince takes place in a world where the fae world is right alongside the human world. The story focuses on Jude after she's taken to the fae world with her sisters after their mother is killed by her ex-husband and her older sister's father. We follow Jude 10 years later as she tries to make a way for herself in this world she has been forced to live in.

I wasn't completely enamored by the story. I found it interesting and enjoyed seeing Jude become entangled in the politics of the fae. However, there wasn't a lot that happened throughout the majority of this book. So much time was spent watching Jude get bullied by the high fae in school and led around by those in power. It also didn't help that the further along the story went the more her relationship deteriorated with her twin over silly things (in my opinion).

The ending was what saved this story from being just an okay read for me. From the scene where the crown is supposed to be passed to the next king until the end I was completely invested in what was going to happen. Even though I guessed where parts of the story were headed, I was still shocked by some of the twists. The very last scene had me feeling so many emotions and I need the sequel now! While The Cruel Prince wasn't my favorite book it was a good set up for the rest of the series. I can't was it to see what Holly Black has planned for The Wicked King.

No comments :

Post a Comment