Sunday, October 18, 2015

Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout | Review

Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi
Pages: 366
Source: Purchased for Kindle
First Line: "Ten seconds passed between when Daemon Black took his seat and when he poked me under my shoulder blade with his trust pen."
Find on Goodreads




Goodreads Description

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies...


My Thoughts


* contains spoilers


There is so much that happened in this book that I want to talk about! I'm only going to talk about a few though because I don't want to give away the whole story, unless someone wants to discuss!

At the end of Obsidian, I had a feeling I was going to have some problems with Katy and Daemon's relationship. And I was right! For the first half of the book Katy is trying to deny their feelings for each other. Every time something intimate happened between them she was always quick to say Daemon didn't like her or the attraction was only because of the alien bond they had. It took two different people telling her that the bond didn't force romantic feelings for Katy to finally start considering that Daemon might actually like her.

One of the more exciting things that happened in this book is learning about Katy's new powers. There was a hint of this at the end of Obsidian but it's not the same. Experiencing these moments with Katy is like watching a kid try to ride a bike without training wheels for the first time. It's funny at times but it's really risky especially since the DoD is in town trying to figure out how their satellite had been blown up.

Along with the DoD came Blake. I didn't like Blake from the moment he was introduced. That was partly because I felt like he was being added to create a love triangle but at the same time something just didn't seem right about him to me. Even after I found out his secret, that he was like Katy, I felt like he knew way too much for someone who had to learn everything (about what he was, how it happened, about the other types of aliens, how the government was involved, and how to control his powers) by himself. Blake's need to see some tremendous progress of Katy's skill and the constant escalation of their training session (throwing a knife at her and taking her out the protective perimeter of the quartz to fight an Arum) and his mood swings didn't help either.

The last big point I want to talk about is Matthew. I don't trust him! He seems to get better in the fact that he isn't always staring Katy down, or questioning Daemon's action but I still get a bad vibe from him. When Daemon goes to talk to him says he didn't know there was a possibility of Dawson being alive but I didn't believe him. I'm not sure what it is but I don't trust him. 


Have you read this book? What did you think about it? Anything that I didn't mention that you want to talk about? Comment below!

No comments :

Post a Comment